Volunteers Are The Life Blood Of Our Program
Literacy for Life’s tutors and other volunteers are the heart of our program. They provide:
- One-on-one and small group instruction in reading, writing, math, and spoken English
- Help with special events
- Assistance with fundraising
- Administrative support
Tutoring is a rewarding and life-enhancing experience. Previous teaching experience is not required, nor is another language. New tutors complete six hours of training before tutoring, with an additional three-hour session two weeks later. We provide ongoing support for our tutors through individual consultation, in-service workshops, an on-site resource library, and referral to online training resources.
Tutor Training Modules
2020 Tutor Training Dates: (scroll down page to register)
- January/February 2020 Training Series, Wednesdays, 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. on 1/15, 1/22 and 2/5
- March Training Series 2020, Tuesdays, 2:00 – 5:00 p.m. on 3/3, 3/10 and 3/24
- April/May Training Series 2020, Tuesdays, 5:30-8:30 p.m. on 4/21, 4/28 and 5/12
Training Module 1: Start-up Training
This training discusses the causes and effects of low literacy and the ways in which LFL addresses this issue. We’ll share the stories of the adults who come to our program for help and the expectations and commitment required of a LFL tutor. Based upon your interest and availability, you’ll have the opportunity to select a learner with whom you’ll be matched.
Training Module 2: Match-Up Training
You’ll be provided with more detailed information about your learner and their literacy goals. Guidance will be given on what to do during your first meeting with your learner. You’ll be shown the extensive print and computer resources that are available.
Training Module 3: Just-In-Time
This is a time to report back after your first meeting. You’ll be given more detailed instructions on how to set realistic goals with your learner and how to create lesson plans. Specific teaching strategies and activities relevant to your learner will be covered.
If you are interested in volunteering with Literacy for Life:
- Watch the sixteen-minute Orientation Video below.
- Register for training by completing the Volunteer Registration Form below the video.
- Please be aware that all Literacy for Life volunteers must agree to a routine background check.
Tutor Orientation Video
View the New Tutor Orientation Video.
To find out more about becoming a tutor or other volunteer, please call 757-221-3325 or fill out the form below.
Volunteer Registration Form
Browse our Library Collection – (Click on button below)
Type in library name: Literacy4Life Password: Use the same computer network “Student” password as used at the center
Tutor Training Links