What a Fabulous Year!
This fall Literacy for Life has provided a record number of instructional hours through one-to-one tutoring and classroom instruction. In the first four months of the school year, our learners have received more than 12,000 hours of instruction for reading, writing, math and English language acquisition.
These services have helped:
- 70 learners demonstrate a level gain in their English language proficiency
- 34 learners acquire health literacy skills
- 33 learners increase their involvement in their children’s education
- 23 learners enter employment or get a better job
- 22 learners complete a resume
- 18 learners complete a career assessment to identify a suitable career
- 8 learners enroll in post secondary education (college or job training program)
- 6 learners conduct a mock interview
- 2 learners become U.S. citizens
Through the generosity of our donors, we have expanded our reach and meet a growing number of needs for adults in Williamsburg, James City County and Upper York County.
Next Door Neighbor magazine
- Learner Martha Suarez-Shaheen shares her story, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Nov. 2019