Through individualized instruction, Literacy for Life helps learners achieve their personal literacy-related goals in diverse areas such as employment, parenting, and citizenship. While working at Literacy for Life, learners:
- Registered to vote
- Voted in November election for the first time
- Wrote a resume
- Got a better job
- Started a pet sitting business
- Finished the entire Interactive English series (reading, writing, listening & speaking)
- Obtained U.S. citizenship
- Complimented on her improved English by her employer
- Obtained a library card
- Wrote a note to her child’s teacher
- Took her child to the library for the first time
- Took a job as a substitute teacher
- Passed the Virginia driver’s test (written and behind the wheel)
- Made a doctor’s appointment by phone for first time
- Learned how to use the # and * keys when listening to a pre-recorded phone prompt
- Were told by her daughter’s teacher that her English has improved
- Surprised her tutor with her first email
- Improved writing skills
- Greatly improved typing accuracy and speed
- Passed 3 levels of an EPA certification course for using pesticides at a resort
- Began a class at New Horizons
- Learned 6 new English words today and how to count to 10 and recognize numerals
- Learned how to spell and say her numbers, ordinals, months and days properly
- Started dividing polynomials
- Completed a research paper with citations
- Passed the Virginia Placement test
- Passed the Northstar Microsoft Excel digital literacy test
- Passed all four GED tests
- Passed the TEAS (admission test for RN program)
In November 2019, Literacy for Life tutors reported:
HTM is comprehending passages more easily and able to summarize big pictures.
TK has had good conversations regarding health care and medical issues with tutor.
MSS reviewed and prepared for Medication Aid course. Both will continue to meet as needed during the next 6 weeks.
JN started new book, Reading Skills That Work – Book 2.
MB is progressing well in vocabulary and comprehension.
AA will be attempting the Servsafe examination in a few weeks.
NCS’s basic math is improving. She is better at understanding the material she reads.
JS began working the parts of the paragraph, including topic, supporting, and concluding sentences.
EJC enjoys having time to practice speaking English and hearing me talk of our customs.
LAO has now developed a fluency for speaking and writing in English. He is now preparing for his HVAC test, and is anticipating getting a GED and a possible plan to get a Masters Degree.
MH went from level 4 to level 5 on her CASAS reading assessment.
MJFC is showing progress on her listening test.
KMR is improving with her grammar and speech.
ML just completed a 2 week training program for Accounts Payable at Ferguson’s. The class started with 16 people. Only 5 completed it satisfactorily.
AE wants to take the practice GED Social Studies test on Dec. 5th, in the morning.
SS has completed Book 3 of the Barton Reading Program. She is dependable, hardworking, and enthusiastic.
FJ worked on composing thesis statements for various types of essays; reviewed use of helping verbs, quotations, ellipses, poetic theme and tone.
Next Door Neighbor magazine
- Learner Martha Suarez-Shaheen shares her story, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Nov. 2019
- Volunteer Wendy Ruffle , Next Door Neighbors magazine, March 2019
- If you want to help children, Next Door Neighbors magazine, January, 2019
- Get a Better Job with Our Employ Ed Program, Next Door Neighbors magazine, November, 2018
- Reading Between the Wines fundraiser, Next Door Neighbors magazine, October, 2018
- Empowering Parents Program, Next Door Neighbors magazine, September, 2018
- As different as we are, we all want the same thing, Next Door Neighbors magazine, March, 2018
- Learner Meiber Gonzalez with staff member and ESL Program Manager Jason Thornton, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Feb. 2018
- “We’re thankful for our volunteer tutors and they’re thankful too,” Next Door Neighbors magazine, Nov. 2017
- Reading Between the Wines: Board member, Terry Murphy and Learner Maria Iruka, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Oct. 2017
- “If you want to help children, invest in adult literacy,” Next Door Neighbors magazine, Aug. 2017
- Literacy for Life Launches New Work Skills Program, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Sept. 2017
- Dr. Richard Lodwick and tutor Pat Russo (HEAL program), Next Door Neighbors magazine, May 2017
- Learner Santina Achiro and Ellen Fithian, M.D., Ph.D. Next Door Neighbors magazine, April 2017
- Learners Rosana Furhmann and Fei Bao and with ESL instructor Sean Sukol, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Mar. 2017
- Learner Nelvia Higgins with tutor Martha Dean, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Jan. 2017
- Learner Edwin Rivera with tutor Betsy Turner, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Dec. 2016
- Outreach Coordinator Andrew Martin, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Oct. 2016
- Learner Alfonso Alves with tutor Steven Heaston, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Aug. 2016
- Learner Stephen Alute with tutor Michelle Hanley, Next Door Neighbors magazine, July 2016
- Learner Shamar with tutor Virnell Bruce, Next Door Neighbors magazine, June 2016
- Rocio Gordillo Bresnahan, “From Bogotá to the ‘Burg,” Next Door Neighbors magazine, May 2016
- ESL instructor, Mary O’Brien, and learner Mado Mameya Next Door Neighbors magazine, May 2016
- Learners Olibar Reynosa and Roger Flores with South of the Border owner, Raul Segovia Next Door Neighbors magazine, April 2016
- Learners Asmita & Jay Patel with tutors Judy Hilburger and Jim Sivells, Next Door Neighbors magazine, March 2016
- Learner Anh Tran with LFL board president, Nathan Mortier Next Door Neighbors magazine, Feb. 2016
- Learner Halyna Drutsul with Monty Hargrove Next Door Neighbors magazine, Jan. 2016