Through individualized instruction, Literacy for Life helps learners achieve their personal literacy-related goals in diverse areas such as employment, parenting, and citizenship. While working at Literacy for Life, learners:
- Registered to vote
- Voted in November election for the first time
- Wrote a resume
- Got a better job
- Started a pet sitting business
- Finished the entire Interactive English series (reading, writing, listening & speaking)
- Obtained U.S. citizenship
- Complimented on her improved English by her employer
- Obtained a library card
- Wrote a note to her child’s teacher
- Took her child to the library for the first time
- Took a job as a substitute teacher
- Passed the Virginia driver’s test (written and behind the wheel)
- Made a doctor’s appointment by phone for first time
- Learned how to use the # and * keys when listening to a pre-recorded phone prompt
- Told by her daughter’s teacher that her English has improved
- Surprised her tutor with her first email
- Learned to use an iPad
- Improved writing skills
- Greatly improved typing accuracy and speed
- Passed 3 levels of an EPA certification course for using pesticides at a resort
- Began a class at New Horizons
- Learned 6 new English words today and how to count to 10 and recognize numerals
- Learned how to spell and say her numbers, ordinals, months and days properly
- Started dividing polynomials
- Completed a research paper with citations
- Passed the Virginia Placement test
- Passed the Northstar Microsoft Excel digital literacy test
- Passed all four GED tests
- Passed the TEAS (admission test for RN program)
Recently, Literacy for Life tutors reported:
TT has completed Book 5 in the Barton Reading Program.
JA completed and submitted his citizenship application today!
TK did a wonderful writing of her first day of work.
BL has been in the US 3 months and has recently been employed at Busch Gardens. IH is reading complex sentences and using context for new vocabulary.
LK completed book Interactive English 2A book.
SA did well with reading from the novel today. Also, improvement on dictation.
JM took CASAS Level C reading practice test on Burlington English, scored 35/38 in <58 minutes.
AM recently submitted two well-written business letters.
XJH completed Interactive English Book 1B.
RP learned she is registered to vote.
LAO has improved his English, both speaking and reading.
EmployEd & VG: VG stopped by to report that she got a job at Busch Gardens for 30 hours a week. She will be working the 4-10 shift.
EmployEd & MG: Met with MG to help her get registered on Virginia Work Connection. We also uploaded her resume to the portal website.
EmployEd & TS: Received email from TS who stated she got a better job with Norge Dentistry as a Dental Assistant. The position is full time with benefits.
EmployEd & CMC: met with CMC to help her prepare for a job interview she has scheduled for Friday at 9:30. She will be interviewing for a Contract Processing Position at Kings Creek Plantation.
Next Door Neighbor magazine
- Volunteer Wendy Ruffle , Next Door Neighbors magazine, March 2019
- If you want to help children, Next Door Neighbors magazine, January, 2019
- Get a Better Job with Our Employ Ed Program, Next Door Neighbors magazine, November, 2018
- Reading Between the Wines fundraiser, Next Door Neighbors magazine, October, 2018
- Empowering Parents Program, Next Door Neighbors magazine, September, 2018
- As different as we are, we all want the same thing, Next Door Neighbors magazine, March, 2018
- Learner Meiber Gonzalez with staff member and ESL Program Manager Jason Thornton, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Feb. 2018
- “We’re thankful for our volunteer tutors and they’re thankful too,” Next Door Neighbors magazine, Nov. 2017
- Reading Between the Wines: Board member, Terry Murphy and Learner Maria Iruka, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Oct. 2017
- “If you want to help children, invest in adult literacy,” Next Door Neighbors magazine, Aug. 2017
- Literacy for Life Launches New Work Skills Program, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Sept. 2017
- Dr. Richard Lodwick and tutor Pat Russo (HEAL program), Next Door Neighbors magazine, May 2017
- Learner Santina Achiro and Ellen Fithian, M.D., Ph.D. Next Door Neighbors magazine, April 2017
- Learners Rosana Furhmann and Fei Bao and with ESL instructor Sean Sukol, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Mar. 2017
- Learner Nelvia Higgins with tutor Martha Dean, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Jan. 2017
- Learner Edwin Rivera with tutor Betsy Turner, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Dec. 2016
- Outreach Coordinator Andrew Martin, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Oct. 2016
- Learner Alfonso Alves with tutor Steven Heaston, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Aug. 2016
- Learner Stephen Alute with tutor Michelle Hanley, Next Door Neighbors magazine, July 2016
- Learner Shamar with tutor Virnell Bruce, Next Door Neighbors magazine, June 2016
- Rocio Gordillo Bresnahan, “From Bogotá to the ‘Burg,” Next Door Neighbors magazine, May 2016
- ESL instructor, Mary O’Brien, and learner Mado Mameya Next Door Neighbors magazine, May 2016
- Learners Olibar Reynosa and Roger Flores with South of the Border owner, Raul Segovia Next Door Neighbors magazine, April 2016
- Learners Asmita & Jay Patel with tutors Judy Hilburger and Jim Sivells, Next Door Neighbors magazine, March 2016
- Learner Anh Tran with LFL board president, Nathan Mortier Next Door Neighbors magazine, Feb. 2016
- Learner Halyna Drutsul with Monty Hargrove Next Door Neighbors magazine, Jan. 2016